Monday, June 10, 2013

Short Run After Work

It's always chaotic to get out for a run on the days I work. Especially when I'm there until 4 or 4:30pm. Hustle home (ok, not really, with babies in the backseat and stop and go rush hour traffic), feed the babies, change, stretch, etc. to try to be on the run by no later than 6pm. We just did our usual park run tonight, nothing long as we have to make it home before 7pm to get the babies to bed. Wasn't feeling totally up to par today with what seemingly feels like a head cold coming on, so I warned my husband ahead of time that I might be wimpy today. Ironically, it seems whenever I do this; set low expectations for myself, I usually end up doing pretty good. We kept what felt like  a 9' pace or so throughout and I had the stroller for most of the run, save a few weird areas (like crossing the street, etc. where my husband takes it). Today, I really wanted to throw my Nike Sportswatch on the street and stomp on it though. My husband and I usually always compare current paces and average paces (he has a Garmin). I just started using this GPS watch a few months ago and initially loved it, but now it's just showing to be a piece of junk. I think I really just need to get away from Nike products. I don't like what they stand for and really, whenever I try to contact them, they don't act like they care about their customers. Well, it is what it is for now. Until I can afford a Garmin or something of that standard, I'll have to suck it up and just learn to tolerate this watch for now. Basically, what it comes down to is, it does not respect pauses (which unfortunately and inevitably, I have to do when we street run (especially with a baby stroller), with cars that cut you off, street lights, etc.). It's nice when we run on the lakeshore or Miami trail, because I don't have to pause there and my pace is accurate and consistent with ave/current paces. It seems the Nike Sportswatch does not respect pauses and incorporates that ZERO pace into my average. Really? It wouldn't be a thing if I could manually edit pauses, etc. but Nike does not let you do that on your own. You have to contact them personally and ask them to do it, which at that point, you have to send them a bunch of information for the website, on your watch, etc. Such a hassle! As superficial as it is, as soon as I hit my 5,000km milestone on there, I may rely solely on Runkeeper (as of right now, I don't even update that site or at least not with my treadmill/speed runs). Also, my whole run it was showing a current pace of 8'50 or so (which didn't quite seem accurate), but an average pace of 9'50. My husband's average pace was 9'20 something and he's usually behind me. I usually make it to stop lights or streets before him, so I pause my watch there as well and wait for him. Anyways, enough of the complaining. Hey, it's Monday. :)
All in all, it was a great run. Really felt like we got something out of it and my husband is getting faster. Still kind of bummed we didn't get out yesterday for a trail run in Miami Woods, but it just didn't happen. Hopefully we'll make up for it this week/weekend. Maybe a road trip to a nice long trail. We've been to a trail in Kankakee, IL that runs along the river, maybe I can talk my husband into driving out there? We'll see, after all it is fathers day/weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment