Friday, June 28, 2013

Back Again!

Yes, I'm back again from another running hiatus from the Peroneal Tendonitis flare up. My previous injury seemed to have healed up and I was back to feeling normal/not feeling the ache in that ankle. So, after I've been running regularly again with my husband (close to a month since my last injury) and everything has been going well on our runs together, he comes home one day and suggests we switch things up and go back to the trail that presumably gave me my first injury.  He offered to take the stroller through the choppy parts and this sounded good enough to me. I know I was going to hate it, but I also knew I would like a change of scenery and that my husband wanted to go back there. Well, it turns out the trail wasn't as bad as the last time we were there, as that time, it was mainly muddy from the rain and the sand they had poured over the mud had seemed to 'absorb' or wear away from being huge sinking piles in the trail. However, the mud pits were still there, but hardened and the hard-rocky gravel parts were still there. These parts create the dip and uneven parts in the trail that you have to jump over and dodge. Everything seemed "fine" until the last mile of that run. Guess what started hurting? Yep, that same ankle. I thought my body was playing a joke on me. My body is such a troll. Well, it was the real deal. I actually started limping when my husband and I next to him, started sprinting to our stop point. Once we started walking on our cool-down, I let my husband know about my returned pain and I think part of him thought I wasn't being serious.
My ankle was hurting way worse than the previous injury and on my lateral side of the foot, instead of the back of my ankle. I remember reading that the Peroneal Tendon runs on the lateral side of the foot/lateral aspect of the ankle, below it and lateral/outside of foot. That's exactly where it hurt and it was a deep pain, unlike the ankle part (where, when I massaged it, it would feel some relief). Massaging, icing, rolling out and stretching did not seem to relieve this injury at all. So I knew I wasn't going to mess around with the elliptical and I was going to be serious and rest it. I did not want this becoming a chronic injury and I was just going to blame it on the trail for now.
Thankfully, about a week and a few days of actual rest - it is feeling better. It still aches, but I am trying to go easy on my runs and stay on even ground trails (there will be no trail running for a long while, I think). My husband, for this run and the last two (which have been my first three runs back since my injury) has taken the stroller for some of the run to help me take it easy. It still amazes me how much of your muscles, mentality and endurance deplete after a week or so of no running.
So, I've handled up to 4 miles now on my healed injury and feeling OK about it, but still slightly hesitant. My husband wants to do another 10 miler on Sunday (which he did his own 10 miler when I was resting - so congrats to him!). I am feeling apprehensive about a 10 miler with the stroller, but I think if we switch off, it may be doable. The month is almost over and I am hoping to still get in my 13 miler, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment