Saturday, June 15, 2013

Holy Trail Batman!

Today we set off thinking we were going to have a long "easy" run. An 8 miler in mind. My husband found a naturey type trail out in the suburbs and from the pictures on the internet; it looked awesome. When we got there, we thought it was too good to be true. Too many good signs; it stopped raining and it looked like the sky was clearing, the babies were able to walk by some Canadian Geese and walk up to a pond, the trail looked smooth and well-maintained AND(!) the trail we parked by was exactly an 8 mile loop. It had to be fate... right? We started off running with a guy and his dog on the trail ahead of us and then a youngish looking guy coming in from his run at the speed of light. By the looks of him (not too beaten up looking, but nice and peacefully focused), we thought this was probably going to be a pleasant run through a nice looking forest. The FOOLS we were!
This is a deceptive looking entrance to the forest we were about to start running in. Note: the monstrous hills were hidden fairly deep into the forest, already laughing at us and some of them, maybe shaking their heads in shame.
The deceptive entrance
Babies enjoying some grass
Daddy and babies milling about in a field
One of the lakes the trail loops around



Closer look at the serene lake






Once we were on the go into the forest, the hills started forming, but we were in such good spirits about our awesome find of a trail we were totally getting into them. It just felt right. The fresh, clean forest air invigorating us and the floral smell enticing us to trust the forest. After about a mile in, we went down our first unfathomably steep hill. I had to have my husband take over, because I just did not have the body weight to feel secure enough that the baby stroller and myself would not be sucked into gravities laughing hands and tumble into a helpless ball feeling every jagged rock on the way down. I wish I would have taken a picture of this hill after my husband took the stroller, but my mind was in awe and also fearfully thinking: if we go down a hill like this, there must be it's sister hill on the other side that we have to go UP.
We carried on and were still in absolute euphoria on how cool of a trail this was. It was super challenging, but in such a good way and that point, the babies actually were loving the bumps and hills. The trail was a quintessential of what one would expect when they think of a nature trail. It was immaculate to the eye, but to the foot, a series of different landscapes from smooth dirt, to rocky to mud to some fine gravel with peaks and troughs. All respectably "doable" with a jogging stroller (at this point). Although part of me was worried about the hills and what they would do to my ankle, I was trying to stay aware of it and keeping light on my feet with shorter strides, so I would be able to recover quickly if my foot fell into a dip in the trail. All was fine though.
About halfway in, it started to rain. Oh Great! I told myself not to panic and covered the babies up. The day was a decently warm day, so when the rain did start, it didn't bring a chill with it. However, once we rain out of the forest and into a prairie type field with tall meadow grass, it became somewhat surreal. I was actually enjoying it! What a Fathers Day Extreme Trail Run Adventure we were having! Hills, forest, and rain! Whee! (No really, it was actually kinda cool and I felt a little hardcore about it.. now if it was cold out, that would be a different story!). We had to tromp through some mud and water that was ankle deep, my feet were soaked and I was a bit leery of the fact that we still had about another 40 minutes of running to do and the rain might not let up and the trail might actually get worse. My mental attitude started to darken and then it hit - Maddy started to scream! Oh NO! Not here Maddy, not now! What were we thinking? There really was no where to let her out or if we did let her out, the thought of carrying her the rest of the 4 miles? I was starting to mildly panic in my head, but tried to keep my cool (as it was still our fathers day/weekend run, so I didn't want to ruin it). My heart was sinking with every hill we had to slow down and walk up (mosquitoes congregating around the stroller). And when I say hill, I really (with not much exaggeration) should say "mountain". They were SO steep! We had to keep going though, there was no turning back and time was only going to go slower if we took Maddy out and into the rain. We needed to make sure she was hydrated and safe, but to get her back as quickly as possible. Who knows what we were thinking starting an 8 mile run with a probability of rain still, but we had to finish it up. I hate to say it, but our long forest runs may have to stop for a bit and just continue on with the longer runs that are closer to home or have a park midway or something.
Anyways, we eventually came to the road that our parking lot was on. The trail went on another mile or so around that lake that is pictured above, but we cut it short and ended around 7 miles. Wow! Our pace was slowed from the hills and mud, but with all of the forest challenges, we really felt whipped. How did that one guy we saw coming in look so peaceful? Amazing.
What a crazy experience. Mixed with such elation to start with and then such dread at the end. I loved being out in the forest and running on the trail though. I loved being with my husband and babies and experiencing it, but we'll have to come back another time either when they're older or we're more prepared or have a backup plan for disaster. When you're in the middle of the forest and 4 miles out from your car with crying babies, it really does feel like a never ending trail in a nightmare. My husband and I already agreed we were going to go back soon to do the trail sans babies/baby stroller. It's a must; a technical trail and great for running with a beautiful environment - we couldn't say no to another try.
Thankfully, we made it out unscathed and hopefully Maddy wasn't traumatized. I doubt she was, as once I picked her up from the stroller, she started pointing at everything and hooting at it. Her crying stopped immediately and was only left with those little after-cry hiccups babies get. So cute, but I still felt so guilty to put her through it. Stupid running parents!
Till' next time Palos Hills Trails of Doom! We will conquer you yet with you're gargantuan hills and 8 miles of exciting trails!
My wet feet/shoes that were full of mud earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment