Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I Miss Running

Not having run for about a two weeks is really starting to effect me. I've always been a pretty-much-daily runner, save a little before, during and after pregnancy. The last injury that had me on hiatus was the longest I've endured; an IT band injury. That was in about 2009, when I was running 6 miles a day, plus the 3 miles or so with my husband at night when he was just starting running and doing the C25K program. I had to stop running for close to 3 months! Although, it wasn't completely void of running; I would still be running one day every 2 weeks or so, but for short runs. Now, with my husband running and running faster than he's ever ran, it's leaving me pretty jealous and depressed. The injury this time is Achilles tendonitis. Last week I noticed it after our trail run (the trail that I was complaining about the whole time that had huge hills and horrible terrain). This is my first time getting A.T. and apparently it comes with running too much, running faster or running with a lot of hills. It could be a bit of everything, but I think that with those recent trails we did with the hills, plus the baby stroller/extra weight and uneven terrain - that's probably what did it, as I'm totally not used to running that type of run.
So, after that trail run, I and in to end of last week, I was running through the soreness I felt. That's also when I noticed it was a stupid idea as the soreness soon became an actual pain (even when I wasn't running). I had taken close to a week off, then started feeling a bit better. I decided I would try a quick 10minute speed run on the treadmill instead of venturing off with my husband on the streets only to tempt fate and have my ankle start hurting 15 minutes in or so and then have to walk back and maybe even ruin his run. So, when I was running on the treadmill around a 7' pace, I was aware of a little soreness, but thought it felt ok. This is the problem with runners. We always notice some kind of subtle pain, but it seems we are trained to think pain can only be temporary if we don't think about it and to keep running. Well, I was only planning on doing 10minute so there was that encouraging me to not stop as well. What's 10 minutes? It's practically nothing. Of course, after my run was when I realized 10 minutes was enough to do some damage. I was feeling the pain again and realized I shouldn't have even gotten on the treadmill at all (let alone the rationalizing in my head of maybe I cold have ran on it but not so fast). Whether it was speed or distance, I'm sure I would have hurt myself regardless.
My ankle seems to be on the mend. It still feels a bit sore, but after some massage, it actually feels almost 100% better. I have been not icing it, as I should, but I will do that tonight and I have my fingers crossed to try a short/easy-paced run on the treadmill tomorrow. The true test is to see how my ankle feels in the morning when I wake up; as for some reason, that is when it is at it's sorest (other than when I'm actually running on it).

2 comments:

  1. ugh! I feel you. I cringe at just thinking of cutting a run short, let alone missing time. I'm always scared of injuries, they can pop up so easily. Every little soreness when I start a run I think, is this an injury starting or just the morning kinks getting worked out?
    heal fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Declan, I'm trying to heal as fast as I can! The two weeks or whatever have been very torturous! :(

      Delete