Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Husband is getting faster

Throughout my running 'career', I never cared much about my pace. I always ran to what I was comfortable and tried to keep going as long as I could. This is what had me excited about running; is going the distance - not really how fast I could go. It wasn't until this last year, reading up on HIIT running and increasing my strength and endurance after pregnancy that I realized it was a good thing to try and challenge myself further. I've been doing a bit of it with a goal of once a month. I'm shooting for a sub 25 minute 5k and nearly there. However, now that it is summer and I run with my husband (and babies) outside, I run at his pace. In order to not lose my endurance and speed, I try to hop on the treadmill after our runs to try to put in a quick 10 minute run at my fastest though.
Today, we set out with my husbands goal: to reach 5k in 30minutes. I wasn't sure how fast I could go with the stroller (I run at my husbands pace, but it's about my comfort level with the new challenge of pushing the stroller), but I told myself that I would do it for him and knowing it would full-well benefit me as well. So I pushed and was pleasantly surprised at how natural it felt. My husband starts his runs out fast (which is around a 9' pace) and I usually try to start out a little slow and burst towards the end of my run (if even for that last mile or half mile). We kept a good pace under 10 throughout the majority of the run (the slow downs being the usual urban obstacles of stop lights, hazardous sidewalks, alleys, etc.), but I was feeling quite confident we would make it. We hit our hit our halfway point and my husband was telling me we weren't going to make it. I was running ahead of him at this point (which he usually doesn't like), but I wanted to be the marker for under a 10' pace. I would yell out to him when we went above 10'. He kept up with me, but was still lagging behind a bit and didn't want to push him too much because the last thing I wanted was for him to get ill (as the last thing he said to me before we started our run was "give me a kiss in case I die on this run and I'll leave everything I own to you" and I replied with "oh yeah, debt and dirty laundry"). :)
Well, to conclude, we didn't meet our goal, but we were only 19 seconds off from hitting 3 miles in 30minutes. It was the fastest he ever ran and he feels good about himself - and that's what matters in running. It really doesn't matter how fast or how far you go, as long as you feel that great feeling that running offers you at the end of your run. Good job babe! I love running with you (and the babies)!

http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/activity/running/detail/2142315883?external_share_id=f0051717-cea3-43d1-9fc9-9abd0c86a596

No comments:

Post a Comment