Sunday, May 5, 2013

First time blog, long time runner.

So my husband told me to start blogging about my runs. I've been running since about 1999 and I love it. I started running to get fit, kept running through university (studying my nursing notes while I ran on the treadmill). Yes, it's an acquired skill to read while running. I didn't live in the best of neighborhoods in university and my classes and clinicals didn't get out until late, so there was no way I was running on the roads by myself. The treadmill became a good best friend. A lot of runners scoff at the treadmill, but it's convenient and it's the best place to get into a zone and isolate myself.
Once I graduated, I moved to the city and started working right away. I didn't like running on the urban roads (stop go, stop go, with tons of people to dodge and by the end of your run you felt like you had dirt and smoke caked in your lungs. ew.). So, I got a gym membership and kept on with my love of treadmill running. I never stopped. Until my husband moved down and I took a few months break. Soon, we moved in together in a bigger artist loft with a spare room (a room I could utilize for a workout room). The treadmill moved in and I moved on and on. Shortly thereafter, my husband wanted to start running and started the C25K program. We started running together on the streets at night. It was great. I finally had a running buddy to drag me outside and try to enjoy the feel of the road under our feet. Sure, I still didn't like it as much as the treadmill; still dirty, still noisy, still not convenient. I kept with it though! On my husband's off days, I would run down to the lakeshore and run 10's and 21k's by myself. Running by the lakeshore, I found, was BETTER than running on the treadmill.
So, we eventually moved into a house and on that same moving day, I found out I was pregnant with TWINS! One of the first things on my mind was if I could still run/workout; as this would be a huge change since I ran a 10k everyday. I was told I couldn't run anymore because of the fact that carrying twins was a high risk pregnancy. Low impact. Walking, elliptical and stairs. No fun. I missed the zoning out that running brought me and the feeling of visceral elation afterward that running gave me. Admittedly, I was quite jealous whenever I saw a runner while I was pregnant, but that was a fleeting thought as I knew I was already embarked on a bigger and better journey with pregnancy.
Once the babies were born (2 months early), they had each a medical ailment that kept them in the NICU for close to 3 months. Once they were healthy and stable at home, I gave every minute to them until about 4 months out. That's when I decided I should start giving back to my body and mind and start up my running routine again. Wow! Through pregnancy, bedrest and a few months post-preg, my body was completely useless. Running was SO hard and I felt hopeless at times with no endurance and no strength to speak of. Finally, about 8 months out from trying to extend my distance in running and HIIT running to build up my strength, I was finally able to complete my first 13 miler in February 2013 (last 13 miler being in 2011in June, right before I found out I was pregnant). Since February, I have made it my goal to try to run a 21k once a month. So far so good. Also, my husband is back to running. He currently is trying to build up his stamina and pace. We run at different paces, but I'm sure that won't be for long. He's taller and he's a male (currently running a pace of 11' to my 9'). I've always been a 9 pacer and I'm comfortable with that pace, however, I do feel once he gets faster, so will I as I'll be learning to push myself. I'd like to add that running outside with the duallie/twin running stroller is NOT easy. I call it the beast. It really makes running awkward and much more challenging. I'm getting the hang of it though and I think it's definitely making me stronger.
Well, I guess I had a lot to say, TLDR; running is fun and I won't ever stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment