Monday, May 20, 2013

From One Runner to the Next. Day #2 2,500 mile challenge.

Sunday, May 19th run:

This was day 2 of my husband and I's running for the 2,500 mile challenge. On Saturday, we made it to 8 miles and it was my husbands first time making it that far - he is officially a long distance runner! I told him there's no going back now. Today's run was not on the lakeshore, but on the outskirts of the city in a forest preserve. This trail was beautiful. Paved trails, lots of trees, streams; pure nature. The air smelled great and the morning sun was shinning. We knew it was going to be a hot and humid day, so we set out right when the babies woke us up, around 7 a.m.! We always gauge how far and how fast on my husband. The focus is on him on these runs together, because he is the one who is training his body now and getting proper running form down again. I did my re-training 4 months or so after I gave birth to twins (I gave birth in January 2012 and the last time I ran from that point, was a half marathon on the lakeshore in June 2009). So, today, my husband was a bit sore from the 8 miles from the previous day, so he was going to try to make it to 5k today (an easy paced one). We were loving our run through the forest so much with the great scenery and the NICE people, I think that motivated us to go further. At our 20 minute mark (when we usually turn around), my husband wanted to push further. He continues to surprise me. The previous years I have ran with my husband (when he started the C2k5 in 2008? and the continuing summers), he's always knew his limit and usually didn't push too much. Well now, he really loves to challenge himself and refuses to let his body tell his brain what to do. We ran another 10 minutes. We were starting to feel the humidity, but it still felt great to be out there; tired from the babies and sore from yesterday. For me, I wasn't sore at all, as I usually don't get sore unless I'm running close to a 13 miler, but a new thing I was dealing with the last two days were side stitches. I am not totally unfamiliar with them, but they are rare (along with shin splints). I usually am able to run through them, but even with my breathing techniques (and sometimes short bursts/sprints) were not making them go away completely. Thankfully, the intensity wore down around 20 minutes in to the run and I was able to breath easier and run more comfortably. We made about 6 miles and were so happy because we set out thinking this might be a short run.
The highlight of this run: on our way back, on the path ahead, we saw a "running family" coming in the opposite direction. We were all about "good mornings" and in a great mood this run, so we were getting ready to greet them. There was an older lady (I'm guessing mid-50's?), a man presumably her husband and a middle aged woman (daughter?). The lady beat us to a greeting by raising her arms up and waving them excitedly and saying out loud to us "I LOVE THIS FAMILY", as she looked at us and gave us the worlds biggest smile. One can assume, from one runner to the next, the appreciation or admiration one can feel when running through a challenge that may thwart another from running (i.e., age, babies, etc.). I was so happy to hear her comment and her sincerity that it really gave me chills while running. I really hope that I can be that person when I get to that age. To be running, to have that energy, to have that happiness and sincerity. It was truly awesome. From the "runners nod" to this exchange of "runners love" is something should keep us all running; for the betterment of ourselves and each other.

2 comments:

  1. Question, are you both trying to run 2500 miles in a year? Or combined? Biking? That's a legit goal!!

    Funny, I had horrible side stitches Sunday for the first time in months as well. Maybe it was the weather. Sounds like you two are doing great! (well four!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this 2,500 mile challenge was something my husband found on Reddit r/running. They have a facebook page as well, where you can sign up for their challenges and stuff (for instance, this weekend is the "Run Anywhere 5k Challenge", which we are also doing). :)

      Delete