Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Get faster at 5k week, Day #1.

Today was our first day to make it to 5k in 30 minutes or less (actually, it's my husbands goal, as when I run by myself I'm around a 26 minute mile when I run at my regular pace). It was a gorgeous day, albeit a little humid, but my husband was determined. I had already started out the run with a little negativity by saying I hope that my side stitches didn't come back today. I told my husband, if they did, for him to keep running and to not hold back with me if I did have them. Thankfully, there were NO side stitches, so my energy was there. However, my ankle was being a pain, but those little hurts I usually can run through by just changing my stride, etc.
We started off great - around an 8'50 pace and pretty much kept it under a 9' pace until the 15 minute marker, where once we turned around, the wind was against us. Wind + baby stroller = no easy Sunday morning jog. But here's the more frustrating part. Throughout our whole run today (and the previous 5k training runs we've been doing), I've always ran ahead of my husband, which he allows for these "speed" runs. I was about 2 minutes ahead of him (maybe a city block and a half distance?). I did slow my pace to a 9'30 and even ended up stopping at a stop light to wait for him. Other than the stop, I had to stop at two side streets for people and their cars, an stop sign intersection as a lady in her car was not paying attention and did not let me cross, and a truck that was blocking the side walk so I had to go around him and run in the street. This, is why I hate street running. I had to pause my GPS more than a few times and because of this, I feel my GPS was probably wrong, as my husbands GPS said his average pace was a 9'36 and my GPS said my average pace was at a 9'50 (even though I was about 2 minutes ahead of him?). Well, I won't get too concerned over it, as it was technically his run/his goal.
All in all, it was a great run - felt like I was actually running and NO side stitches! Hooray. AND my husband made it to his goal; completing a 5k in 30 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment